17 March 2008

'Clarity of thought before rashness of action'

*Recounts events from Feb 2004*







Shockwave

'Clarity of thought before rashness of action'
. I think that is one of the most meaningful and enlightened mottos among all Transformers - and it came from a Decepticon.

It is in fact, a mantra we can live by; a way of life we can adopt; and should be exactly how we should do our day jobs.

I was a real comic junkie as a kid and have loved Shockwave since Transformers #05 and #06. Bob Budiansky said in the Marvel Universe bios that 'Among the Decepticons, Shockwave's power is second only to Megatron's' and as seen in Marvel UK, even a match for Galvatron himself.

Impressively, he was Decepticon Commander (or joint commander) since Marvel #05 and through most of the G1 Marvel Comics run. A young me was both impressed and shocked that he singlehandedly defeated all 5 Dinobots in Transformers #08.


Transformers #05 & #06 (Marvel Comics Group)

It of course follows that I wanted a Shockwave toy back then. I was saddened to never be able to find Shockwave on the retail shelves. He was among the Transformers that were never available in Singapore. In the end, mummy did buy me a sort of Shockwave for S$7.90 but that was the 'Astro Magnum' version which is more greyish than it is purple.

The first real Shockwave I obtained was the D-49 Japanese box Shockwave for S$160. I cannot remember the exact period but suspect it must have been somewhere in mid 2000. The toy was around C9 with working electronics, the foam insert is about C7, but the box has seen better days.

I discovered just how unique a specimen D-49 is while writing this article. Its place in Transformers history is detailed here.

The condition of the box had been quite unsatisfying for me and so in line with collecting objective [6], I sought to obtain a better Shockwave box, preferably a USA box. At that time, MIB Shcokwaves were notoriously expensive on eBay- going for US$230 to $300 for a C9 toy, foam inset, instructions and box. After shipping and exchanges rates are allowed for, the final amount was way too high for me to be willing to spend.

So I waited... until 2004.

At the end of 2004, I found a MIB Shockwave when I returned to Singapore. It came with an asking price of S$300, which I bargained down to S$270 since I was buying Starscream MIB, Mirage MIB, Smokescreen MIB, Tracks MIB and Jetfire MIB from this same shop at the same time. All in all, I am very satisfied with this Shockwave.

So here it is, presenting what to me is a near perfect G1 USA boxed Decepticon Military Operations Commander: Shockwave.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome Transformer. One of my favorites...

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be beamed to me and will be visible within 3 to 7 hours typically. Do check back or subscribe to this post for my responses or to see comments from other readers! ~ HD

Last 30 days' TOP TEN Popular Posts